You know all those princess movies we watched growing up that depicted this magical life (ok, there were a few evil queens but relatable) and everything was so happy and romantic? I don't want to say that I feel a little bit let down that life isn't exactly a fairytale every day but also.... I'm a little bit let down by it. It would be SO nice to live in a castle and have my biggest worry be am I going to be poisoned by an evil stepparent who wants to overthrow my kingdom.
All joking aside, I think life is actually a bit magical if we look for it. Sure, there's the daily grind. There's the stress that comes with adulting. Worst of all, there are calories in pizza and sushi is expensive AF. Yet, it's still pretty magical that we're here on this planet (that we're slowly killing but this isn't a political debate) and we're all just doing our own thing, living our best lives. I'm one of those people who is ALL about relaxing and treat yo' self. It's probably a bad thing because I'm so sassy and always like "let's book a trip!" or "let's buy cupcakes! or "who needs a retirement plan when I have a designer shoe collection that can support us?!". I like to relax, I like to embrace magical moments, I like to *pretend* life is a fairytale because otherwise, the tough moments in my life would probably rip me apart.
Here are some of my suggestions on how I *try* to make each day a bit more magical. Wine helps, that's for sure. Oh, and having a few pets around. They can't talk but if you drink enough wine maybe you'll hallucinate that they do.
1. Bathing Beauty: I bathe like multiple times a day. I don't think doctors would recommend that because it definitely dries out your skin, but it does feel just so soothing. I'm not saying you should run up your water bill all in the name of feeling like a queen, but definitely embrace the powers of water and soaking in a tub. Always throw in some bubbles or fun soap.
2. Dress Like It: We're not 5 years old anymore and it's no longer appropriate to wear a crown with mix-matched purple pajamas on when you leave the house (darn!), but you can still dress like a fairytale. For me, getting glammed up on a daily basis really boosts my self-confidence. I don't do it for anyone else, I do it because I like to. However, it is nice to get complimented. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or if "you're too dressed up". If I had a dollar for anyone who asked me "what's the occasion?"I could finally buy that Max Mara cocktail gown I've been eyeing at Neiman Marcus.
3. Make Comfy Spaces: If there's anything I learned from Disney movies, it's that princesses sleep A LOT. Like all the time. Ever heard of Sleeping Beauty? Thought so. She literally slept her way into marriage (that's worded badly, I think you know what I'm trying to say though), if that's not goals I don't know what is. I'm all about a comfy bed. I personally don't own a super expensive mattress but I think when it comes to where you sleep splurging is totally acceptable. You'll get so much wear out of them and it's so refreshing to wake up in nice sheets.
4. Keep Clean: Snow White was constantly sweeping (sometimes dust under the rug but we can't always be on our A game), Cinderella literally scrubbed her tile floors with a toothbrush. These ladies meant business. A clean space is a happy space. My mind is always feeling cluttered when the space I'm in is cluttered. Whenever my laundry is all done, dishes are washed, my bed is made, and my apartment is organized I feel this huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. It makes a difference to tidy up, plus seeing your place sparkling clean might make it feel a little more glamorous.
5. Read: If you can't live a fairytale, at least you can read them! Reading makes my imagination and creativity flow like crazy. I think it's a key to not only being feeling happier but also feeling like you did as a child- that excitement of diving into a new book and letting your mind wander page by page. Spending some extra time reading each day might make us all feel a bit more magical.
6. Love Someone: It doesn't have to be a lover. It could be a friend or a pet or a family member. It could be an idea or a hobby or a passion. I think love is the most magical experience of all. I think if we have someone or something to passionately love then we'll always feel like life is magical. Because it is.